On 2/11/2014 4:54 PM, Dale Janus wrote:
I don't know what I did wrong when I installed rdi 9.0 on this new
computer, but it does not work like it did on version 7.

(By the way, I was able get F1 help text working by renaming the
directories and restarting. Thanks.)

Hi Dale, I'm not sure I can help with the details of the install. I
have mine on Win 7 32 bit in c:/program files/ibm/sdp. At least I think
that's where it is. I went from 7.0.0.1 to 8.5 to 9.0 then 9.0.1.
Anyway, I have a few comments inline.

So first, the compile button is no longer on the toolbar.

I dislike the mouse and the current tendency to use an icon for
everything drives me batty. OK, battier. If you water boarded me I
couldn't tell you which icon compiles a program. In fact, I have the
toolbar turned off entirely: Window > Hide toolbar. I use the keyboard
shortcut Ctrl-Shift-C to compile.

If you look at Preferences > General > Capabilities, do you see IBM i
Application Developer checked? Under Preferences > General >
Appearance, my theme is Rational IDE. If you look at Window > Customize
Perspective... there's a tab for Tool Bar Visibility. On that pane is a
list of tool bars. I think the one you need is called 'editor'. Good
luck working out which one means 'compile'. All of them are checked on
mine.

Under v7, when I had compile errors, there was a nice box under the lpex
editor that listed the errors. Now the box is in the upper right
corner. If I click on enough things, it moves down to the bottom, but
it would be nice to have it always be on the bottom like it used to be.

I dragged mine to the bottom too. And it stays there between sessions.
In fact, after I rearranged all the panes the way I liked them, I saved
the arrangement as a new perspective. Window > Save Perspective As...
Mine is cleverly called Buck_RSE.

But I said my problem was with debug.
I cannot get field values when I hover the mouse over the field. There
is a monitor window that seems to have the current values, but it sure
is not the same as seeing the values by positioning the cursor.

I went to preferences, debug and under debug editors, I have allow hover
evaluation checked and always use debug editor when debugging.
I also checked update production files. Hey, I never make any mistakes
on production data. At least not yet. Seriously, this is not an issue
for us.

But when I hover the mouse over the field, nothing happens. What am I
missing here?

I've had some odd behaviour with old programs - pre V5 time frame. When
I recompile, the hover works again. I compile with DBGVIEW(*LIST),
except for SQLRPGLE which is COMPILEOPT('DBGVIEW(*LIST)'). Don't know
if that has any bearing.

One thing I did different during install was put my repository directly
off the C: drive, not program files or app data or wherever the default
windows location is.

My repository is in c:/buck/rdi9.
--buck