On 12/19/2013 6:16 AM, Paul Bailey wrote:

I guess I am just venting my frustration here and I apologise for bending your ears (screens?) but I am just wondering how successful others are at getting their colleagues to use the tool. What are your best arguments for all the SEU-fanboi nay-saying, and how do you recover from faith-damaging errors such as the one my colleagues suffered today?

It is my experience that programmers either switch on their own or they
never switch. In nearly 20 years of trying I've never convinced a
single colleague to switch. Internet wars over programmer's editors are
legendary, and it's no surprise that midrange programmers continue to
use SEU despite the availability of RDi.

Dunno how I'd convince a programmer to use an editor after her changes
disappeared. That's a deal breaker.

I use RDi and my colleagues know it. My... feelings for SEU are also
well known here, so there's no need for me to hammer people with
negative comments about it. If they find SEU adequate, who am I to tell
them it isn't? I'm OK with knowing that SEU isn't adequate /for me/.

One thing that I dearly miss is the Code/400 Rexx macro facility. To
this day, I keep a copy of Code/400 just for that. If you are a
programmer who uses RDi and you can't imagine why on earth someone would
want to program it with macros, you may be understanding why there are
SEU users who can't imagine why on earth they'd use RDi.

--buck