On 11 Apr 2013 11:48, MichaelQuigley@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
When entering a CL command, you can type *N as a place holder for
parameter values. However, the CL prompter/syntax checker returns
EVFCL0078: Value '*N' for parameter {xxxxx} not a valid name.

The program will compile correctly and runs fine, but RDP treats it
as an error. Does anyone know a way around this? A co-worker entered
PMR 11445,082,000 to report it. I said I would see if anyone on the
list had dealt with this before. I didn't see anything in the
archives.

The empty list specification, just (), is another means to specify an empty element, and empty parameter, or a qualified part of a name. Just a guess, that specification is more likely to be understood outside of the actual server-based CL request processor as an empty specification.

For example the following two requests are identical:
runqry () qtemp/myfile *outfile outfile(()/outfile () *rplfile)
runqry *n qtemp/myfile *outfile outfile(*n/outfile *n *rplfile)

For example the following two requests are identical:
wrkjob job(()/()/myjob)
wrkjob job(*n/*n/myjob)