From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Anderson, Kurt
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:54 AM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] RDP issues: Should I upgrade from 8,0,3?

Hi Jim,

I'm on the fence, but would likely recommend 8.0.3, and wait to hear what the response is from the next Fix Pack. I'm someone who lives and dies by Content Assist (CA), and ever since 8.5 I've been doing more dying than living. CA suddenly not working has been a huge pain. If you introduce new people and explain just how amazing CA is, I'd imagine it would be hugely frustrating for them to have it stop working (thus, isn't reliable). You could try and make the sell that a flaky CA is still better than SEU, but why do that, just use an older version where it's stable.

Large program sources and SQLRPGLE seem to cause RDP to chug up memory. I personally didn't have that as an issue in 8.0.3. We don't have many SQLRPGLE programs so this issue doesn't come up too often.

I guess what I'm saying is that 8.5.1 has some faults at the moment that can make life frustrating. On the flip-side, 8.5.1 is RDP heading in the right direction, IMO. Live CA/Outline refresh is great. There are a variety of other niceties as well.

I sometimes I wonder if I over-emphasize content assist. I'm pretty sure my two co-workers don't use it at all (or very little). I use it all the time. I suppose if you went with suggesting 8.5.1 you could not promote CA until the next fixpack comes out.

-Kurt