From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jon Paris
Sent: 16 September 2012 17:27
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Default directory

On 2012-09-15, at 1:00 PM, wdsci-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Just my CDN$0.02, not the opinion of my employer, etc., etc...

The default install works exactly as intended, the product and config
is in the protected directories and needs an administrator to modify
it yet the product can be run by a user.

I'll take your Cdn$0.02 and raise you Mike.

I know it is _supposed_ to work this way but that was not my experience.

When I did an install using the defaults (it was my first on Win 7 and I had no clue what these funky directories were about) it didn't perform as well as I had expected but I put it down to the VM performance with Win 7. When I came to try to install updates it would just blow up (something to do with being unable to delete stuff if I recall). The messages indicated that I did not have enough authority. Since I was the Administrator that was tough to find a way round.

I searched various forums and posted questions here and the suggestion I got was to avoid these "protected" directories and reinstall in my own directory. Not only did this solve the update problem but it seemed to run better.

Since then I have installed a couple of times for customers using the defaults and in about 50% of the cases have experienced the same problem, which again was cured by using a different directory. As a result we now routinely advise customers to install in their own directory (We usually call it IBM or RDP) because we see little value in the protected directory status but we do see problems when we use them.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com

Scanned by MailDefender - managed email security from intY - www.maildefender.net
Important

This email transmission and any files with it are strictly
confidential to the intended recipient and may be legally
privileged. Any views or opinions presented are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those
of BHSF. If you are not the intended recipient, you must
not copy, disclose or distribute its contents in any way.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
the sender and delete the e-mail from your system.

We have taken steps to ensure this e-mail and attachments
are free from any virus but do not accept any
responsibility once this e-mail has been transmitted. You
should scan any attachments for viruses.

No contract may be concluded on behalf of BHSF Limited by
e-mail.

Registered Office:
BHSF Limited
Gamgee House, 2 Darnley Road, Birmingham B16 8TE.

www.bhsf.co.uk

Registered in England number 35500.

BHSF is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services
Authority.