On 9/14/2012 12:27 PM, Mike Hockings wrote:
Just my CDN$0.02, not the opinion of my employer, etc., etc...

The default install works exactly as intended, the product and config is
in the protected directories and needs an administrator to modify it yet
the product can be run by a user.

If you don't have admin authority then what you can do is to install in
your user space. With RDP 8.5 if you look in the install image you see a
disk1 folder containing launchpad.exe, This will run the normal install
for all users. However if you look into disk1/InstallerImage_win32 you
will find a userinst.exe. Running this should start a user-level install
under your userid's home directory. The main difference that you will see
is that there will be a "My Installation Manager" entry in the Start menu.
I have not asked to see if this is a "supported" configuration or not
though...

Mike

Mike, unfortunately I can't be a lot of help when it comes to the defaults because I always install in C:\IBM just because I prefer to keep all my IBM software in one place. However, maybe you might want to find out the business issues that are driving this discussion. Exactly what functions are people trying to execute that are being hindered? Are these truly administration tasks, or are they end-user configuration activities? Maybe a little more analysis of the problem might help determine the best course of action, or at least allow for a User Guide entry to clearly identify the issues prior to installation.

Joe