On 6/22/2012 6:58 AM, Edmund Reinhardt wrote:

How do the rest of you feel about the importance of Program Verifier?

I'm stuck for a little bit longer on WDSC, although I downloaded the RDP
8.5 trial. Hopefully I'll have IBM i 7.1 installed before the trial
runs out :-)

I haven't used Verify in so long I couldn't honestly say why any more.
So I fired up WDSC 7.0.0.8 and RDP 8.5 and tried it out on a program I'm
working on right now. This program compiles fine, with the typical
RNF7031 (name or indicator not referenced) errors we see with externally
described files.

WDSC verify takes 3 seconds and reports many false terminal errors. Now
I remember why I don't use verify. I'm sure I could probably do
something with the cache to make these false positives disappear but
manually managing the IDE's cache is unappealing when:

WDSC compile takes 2 seconds and reports no errors.

RDP verify takes about 1 second and reports 2 false instances of RNF1324
Keywords DFTACTGRP, ACTGRP, or USRPRF are not allowed. As an aside,
filtering the messages is less easy on these old eyes than WDSC. RDP
has a subtle box drawn around the icon next to the message severity
(Informational, Severe, etc.) WDSC had a clear and easy to notice check
mark. WDSC also (falsely) reported these errors in and among the other
false positives.

RDP compile takes 2 seconds and reports no errors.

RDP's verifier is faster than WDSC's, and it throws fewer false
positives but it does still throw false positives.
--buck