And that indeed seems to be the problem!

Jon, I open and closed a couple of shells with no problem. And then I just went back in and tried one last time and had the grayed out command line. After cursing you under my breath for breaking my machine remotely, I looked in QUSRWRK and saw that I had two QJVACMDSRV jobs already running. I closed the shell view and canceled both jobs, then relaunched the shell and up it came.

I think there's a maximum of how many shell jobs you can have, and they hang around for a while even after you close the view. I wouldn't even try to guess if such setting are configurable or where they might be, although I wouldn't be surprised if one of the 12,376 preference settings controlled it.

Joe

Jon, 8.0.3 works fine for me. I don't think I ever remember seeing the command line grayed out. Did you try looking at job log of the service job on the host? It should be named QJVACMDSRV running in QUSRWRK.

Joe

"You might try clicking on the drop down menu arrow in the far right of the Remote Shell view."

No good Rick - I had tried that but it made no difference.

Jon Paris
Partner400
www.Partner400.com