The CGIDEV2 tool is excellent. Easy to download, install and get running.

Having tried the Java route, I can say that it is massively complex to get right, and except for super massive web sites that require a full WAS server, in my opinion not worth the effort to learn unless there are other compelling reasons to do so. In my case it was a Masters program where I had a choice of Java or .Net. Clear choice there.

In addition to the CGIDEV2 tooling, I would suggest you look at PHP. It's both procedural and object oriented, and easy to learn by comparison to Java. With the Zend server you can incorporate all of the RPG and IBM objects that you would like to with a minimum of effort. I do work with Zend to help their customers implement PHP, but I would not do that if I did not think it was a viable tool.

If the Eclipse version of RDi or RDP is the same as the Zend Studio (which is free for IBM i customers) you can load the Zend Studio over the top of RDi or RDP and have a fully integrated development tool. Otherwise it's look and feel is close enough to the IBM tooling that there is nearly no learning curve for the development environment.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects