I'm trying to set up a connection to MS SQL in the data perspective. How
do I go about figuring what to put in the 'Class Location' field?

-----Original Message-----
From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Buck
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 10:51 AM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Connection String for MS SQL

On 5/3/2011 8:53 AM, Douglas Belcher wrote:

I have added a plugin to WDSc called Quantum DB that allows me to
execute
SQL statements against a number of different databases, i.e. DB2,
Oracle, MS
SQL, etc. I had these setup at a previous job but have not had the
need to
do it at my current job until now. What I needed to do was find the
jar
file containing the jdbc driver to allow for the connection to the
data base
and then provide the connection url to communicate with it. I found
the
driver and have not yet been able to figure out the parms on the
connection
url to successfully connect. I appreciate the site you sent me to but
it
did not quite get me the results that I needed. I was hoping that
someone
had the plugin and the connection url so I could see where I was going
wrong
and adapt it to my environment.

Properties->Connection
Connection URL:
jdbc:sqlserver://10.1.0.1:1433;databaseName=mydatabasename

Properties->JDBC Driver
Driver Name: Microsoft SQL Server JDBC Driver 3.0
Driver Class Name: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
Driver Version: 3.0.1301.101
Driver Path: F:\Addons\Microsoft SQL Server JDBC Driver
3.0\sqljdbc_3.0\enu\sqljdbc.jar
Type: Microsoft SQL Server

The JDBC driver one uses must be compatible with the database one wants
to connect to. So if one were connecting to SQL Server 2000, one would
probably not want to use a 2010 driver. The connexion URL has to come
from the server admin or network admin. If the server isn't in the DNS,
one needs to use the IP address. SQL Server is typically on port 1433
but that can be altered by the SQL Server admin.

Hope this helps.
--buck