I completely disagree with the statement "(Developers shouldn't be worried
about how the database optimizer does it's magic).". In the majority of
AS400, iSeries, or System i development environments where there is not a
person that performs the functions of a Data Base Administrator then the
developers do need to be cognizant of how their SQL development decisions
impact the performance of the system. If the department does have a DBA
that is monitoring those functioning of the database then it is less
important but I feel that the developer should still have a moderate
understanding of the query optimizer decisions. I see time and time again
where developers are choosing to use SQL instead of RLA access without
understanding the implications of their actions.