Hi Joe,
Thanks for the suggestions.
We definitely have to improve the marquee actions. I have been frustrated
by the copy/paste and delete restrictions.

That is a creative idea about toggling marquee

The Ctrl key will do what you want. I.e. extend the selection without
unselecting what you currently have selected.
This is a standard behaviour that is true in many other contexts. I hope
you find it helpful.

We have thought about group properties. But I doubt we will be able to get
around to doing that, with our current resource constraints.

Eric, could you please write up work items for Joe's suggestions.

Thanks,
Edmund

|------------>
| From: |
|------------>
|Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |
|------------>
| To: |
|------------>
|Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> |
|------------>
| Date: |
|------------>
|02/12/2011 10:45 AM |
|------------>
| Subject: |
|------------>
|Re: [WDSCI-L] IBM is so confusing! |
|------------>
| Sent by: |
|------------>
|wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx |

Hi Edmund!

I wanted to take a little time to test before giving you my checklist.

Sort seems to work fine. Not sure whether you want to pop up a message
telling the user that the fields have been sorted.

For Marquee actions:

Move: Works!
Delete: Only deletes one field.
Copy/Paste: Only pastes one field.
Resize: Works! (This, by the way, was most awesome!)

As an extension of Stuart's request (or maybe an alternative), how about
a new action toggleMarquee. This action would toggle the cursor: if in
Marquee mode to Select, and if in Select to Marquee. I could then
assign that action to, say, the middle mouse button. Then I would never
have to move my mouse over to the palette. I could click the middle
button, select some fields, then click the middle button again to
perform some other actions.

By the way, Shift works as a way to use Marquee while in Select mode.
The problem is that it removes the current Marquee selection. In
Marquee mode, you can use Shift to add more fields to the selection. If
you're in Select mode, you can hit Shift to do a Marquee select but that
removes the current selection.

It would be nice to have a group properties dialog. I know this is
bigger than a bread-basket. You would have to modify the properties
screen to only allow changes to attributes that make sense for all
fields, and you'd have to have a way of showing when fields have
different attributes. But the business reason for this would be the
ability to mark a bunch of fields and change their color or attribute.

I've got more, but since I've already gone from fixes to enhancements,
I'll leave this.

Joe

Hi Joe
We have field sorting as of 8.0.0.1 using the context menu of any field,
the fields for that record can be sorted. (we were restricted for adding
any translatable strings since this was a service pack, but we wanted to
get this out because of the feedback we got on this forum)
What kind of enhancements were you looking for with multiple fields. You
have to use the Marquee selection tool from the pallete to select
multiple
fields, we allow alignment etc. We would have preferred to simply drag a
rectangle to select multiple fields, but the marquee tool was forced on
us
by the GEF framework we were building on top of.

Edmund
IBM RD Power

|------------>
| From: |
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|Joe Pluta<joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|------------>
| To: |
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client
for System i& iSeries<wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

| Date: |