I have created a CL program of two lines:

CHGOUTQ OUTQ(HOURS/SHEILA) CHGJOBD JOBD(PROGRAMMER)
The outq sheila has no printer attached.
The jobd programmer also uses outq sheila. (it made no difference if I switched the two commands)

I have put this in remote job explorer, under initial command.

Yet when I compile a CL program, I get a printout for the printer assigned to user DALE. It does not go to outq SHEILA.

I need a job description that is different from the jobd that is attached to my user name DALE.

It seems I cannot override it with an initial command. I don't know where in RDI to assign a JOBD.

---Dale

message: 2
date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 17:55:59 -0500
from: "Lennon_s_j@xxxxxxxxxxx" <lennon_s_j@xxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Another new user question:printing compiles

WDSc, which I'm using, and RDI both work through a servicing job on the iSeries. You probably need to tweak this job.

Right click your connection, then click Properties.
Highlight Subsystems.
Click the iSeries Commands tab.

You can put in your library list here.

Alternatively, and this is what I do, use the Initial Command box. In the green screen world I have a short CL programs that sets my environment the way I like it, library list, outq, etc. I run that same program in the Initial Command box, e.g. CALL mylib/mypgm. So when I open the connection this program runs once and everything is set.

This works in my environment because I don't do a lot of swapping of library list. YMMV. If you do a lot of swapping you can change your environment from iSeries Command Log, where you can also enter commands. Others, I think, may have multiple connections to the same machine, each connection customized as needed.

You don't need to see the compiler listing in WDSc or RDI. The tool downloads the errors for you and you can insert them (temporarily) into the source while you correct them.

Sam

Change the output queue on your job description. The compile listings
will go there. I'm still running WDSc, so maybe your environment is
different, but it works for me. Of course, that means NONE of my printer
output prints automatically.

- -- Pete Hall