From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Vern Hamberg
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 10:59 AM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client
forSystem i & iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Printing Code from LPEX

Bryce

OK - help in WDSC is tough to work with sometimes. I just went to the
little command line below the source view and entered "help print" and
hit enter. Got me to the help for the print command. Then I saw the link

to the "print.tokenized parameter". This led me to some info, including
this clip -

"...the *print* command will use the current style attributes to print
the current view's document text..."

So I guess tokenized means that the printing will use what is defined in

Preferences->LPEX Editor->Appearance in the Styles list therein. That's
what I have seen, at any rate. On a B&W printer, you get shading for the

various colors you see in the editor view.

Again, that's not the same as extracting tokens from a string.

Yikes, that's a lot of work to get information!!

HTH
Vern

Bryce Martin wrote:
Vern,
Unfortunately the help text I found was very generic and only
explained
the basic action of having the Tokenized boxed checked/unchecked. No
explanation further that I found, but then again I didn't go digging
too
awful deep.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/09/2010 09:30 AM
Please respond to
Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for

System i & iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for

System i & iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] Printing Code from LPEX

No. Source code has no builtin formatting codes, although some have
added the 5250 display bytes for display on the green screen.

And a "token" is not something that "...controls background and text
colors...". A token, in the most primitive sense, is just a word
separated by some delimiter, often a blank, sometimes a semi-colon.
The
C function strtok just gives you back a "token" out of a string - and
uses a delimiter you specify, IIRC.

The "tokenizing" in LPEX is done by LPEX according to certain rules -
sometimes found in a syntax file - TextPad has a similar concept - you

put in a list of various "tokens" and how they should be displayed.

Tokenizing in LPEX is perhaps better called colorization, IMO.

For printing, that colorizing or other emphasis is done by LPEX - and
you can turn it off. Turning it off gives you the plain text. Leaving
it
on gives you the colorized effect.

I think there's a little confusion on the use of the word "tokenize"
=
probably the fault of the LPEX usage - there's probably some help text

in WDSC that is worth checking on what is going on.

Later
Vern

Bryce Martin wrote:

so it just breaks off the "token" that controls the background and
text
colors and just send the plain text "token"? I have never dealt with

the

intricacies of how stream data is formatted, stored, and processed so

please pardon my ignorance on this issue.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777