I'm not as familiar with MS-Word, but in WordPerfect, you can simply
right-click and select "Paste without Font/Attributes" or "Paste
Unformatted Text"--either option works, but sometimes the "Paste without
Font/Attributes" can still show the current line highlighted. In MS-Word
2003 (which I have but only use when absolutely required), I opened the
"Office Clipboard" from the Edit menu. When I pasted with that open, it
pasted straight black text with a white background.

With this comes the usual disclaimer: "Your mileage may vary."