Yes, the 5250 display can allow a user to type a large amount of data
quickly. But any time I find a user entering that much data, I always do
an analysis of where the data is coming from. 90% of the time, they are
entering data from a report from another system or a spreadsheet from
another department.

So I start an automation project. Whether EDI, XML, pulling data from the
Manufacturing system to feed to the accounting system, etc., you can
usually eliminate most of the data entry, IMHO.

Brian May
Project Lead
Management Information Systems
Garan, Incorporated
Starkville, Mississippi

Young i Professionals
http://www.youngiprofessionals.com

"Kelly Cookson" <KCookson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
08/27/2009 07:49 AM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries" <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] justifying RDi when WDSCi 'still works'

We have users that need to enter large amounts of data in short amounts
of time. They don't even look at the screens when they enter the data.
These users love the speed of the 5250 green screens.

I don't think browser pages can ever match 5250 screens for speed. The
addition of a web server tier and the necessity of painting each new
page adds a little time, and that little amount of time can add up for
heads-down data entry folks.

However, I also don't think high speed data entry should be used to
justify keeping all users on 5250 screens. I wish IBM modernization
efforts would not focus on switching from green screens to browser
pages. Both UIs have a place in modern business practices. Modernization
should be having the ability to create the right UI for the right job.

Kelly