Wow, so ADTS is being updated to handle v6.1, but WDSCi isn't. Ouch. I suppose I can see the point, using 6.1 IDE enablement as a selling point to pay for RDi, but that's not enough for us to bite (yet). And now it's even worse, my boss who uses SEU will say, "Well if you want to use 6.1 enhancements, go back to green screen."

-Kurt

-----Original Message-----
From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kelly Cookson
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:46 PM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] justifying RDi when WDSCi 'still works'

We had an IBM team give us an online demonstration of RDi. They told us
about the stabilization of the ADTS tools. They also mentioned the ADTS
tools had been updated to work with V6R1. They didn't go into detail,
but that's what they said. So the ADTS tools should work fine for V6R1.
And I doubt V6R2 will be a big change from V6R1. But how many versions
of OS updates before the ADTS tools start to lose functionality?

I wasn't really listening to rumors. I was looking at the developer
roadmap put out by IBM.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iadthelp/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=/
com.ibm.etools.iseries.getstart.doc/ovr06.htm

I know IBM has abandoned the linear roadmap for the new "road atlas,"
but the consistent push has been for modernization. Everything I see
about modernization on the iSeries points to browser pages instead of
5250 screens:
http://www.iseriesdevcon2009.com/tracks/4.cfm?usergroup=
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/uk/itsolutions/developer/rsdc/keynot
es/em08-system-i-and-em.pdf
http://www.bphx.com/sites/asna/NewsEvents/Newsletters/Quarter12009/Pages
/ModernizationOverview.aspx
http://www.embarcadero.com/making-as/400-and-system-i-application-modern
ization-easier
http://www.bcdsoftware.com/iseries400solutions/clearpath/
http://www.codegear.com/solutions/modernizing-AS400-applications

I think IBM is trying to push shops off the ADTS tools. Once they have
us on RDi, why would they stop pushing for modernization? And wouldn't
the next logical step of modernization be browser interfaces?

Thanks,
Kelly