Richard Schoen wrote:

The big question mark would be the DLL and Registry sprinkling :-)

I loaded WDSC onto the portable drive on a machine connected to the
internet. It managed to upgrade Installation Manager and WDSC to the
latest levels OK. Then I picked up that hard drive and connected it to
a PC that's not on any network...

On the removable you would want to make sure the drive letter always
matches as well.

That was problem number 1. Through Admin Tools, Computer management,
Disk management, I was able to re-assign the portable drive's letter.
After that, double clicking on WDSC's Eclipse.exe started to run.

The next problem encountered was a series of messages telling me that
WDSC could not find my license keys: c:/Documents and Settings/All
Users/Application Data/IBM/Installation Manager/license is not readable.
This made sense since I didn't have that directory structure on the
test PC. In this state, I was able to
Edit javascript files OK
Load and run Eclipse Monkey scripts OK
RSE opens a PDF (displaying internal gibberish, expected)

With that happy bit of news, it was back to the other PC, make a copy of
the license directory tree, back to the test PC, copy it into the C:
drive and try again.

(As an aside, I did not try to hack the keys, did not try to figure out
where WDSC knows to go look for that stuff. If I had my druthers, it
would all be on the H: drive, not the C: drive. Maybe a project for later.)

Remember, this test PC is not connected to a network, so I can't connect
to the iSeries at work.

Created an iSeries Project
Added QRPGLESRC
Added testisp.rpgle

Verify completed OK.
Kept asking for remote password.
RPG Help worked.

Yeah! So it will allow me to edit and syntax check RPGLE source members!!

Added QDDSSRC
Added TESTFM
Verified OK

modified testisp to use testfm
Will not verify; missing external descriptions for testfm

At this point I pretty much established the ability to do the minimum of
what I wanted to do. I found that I can't create a display file member
and expect the RPG member to be able to reference it.

Found out / remembered that I can stop trying to connect to iSeries via
Remote Systems view, right click, 'work offline'.

Of course, the new workspace, new iSeries Project, new source files and
new members are all on that H: drive, and are not known to any other
workspaces. So I decided to press my luck and carry the hard drive to
work and see how I fared.

It's not too bad to merge that completely independent iSeries Project
with the workspace at work. I'm not sure I recommend it - it's far less
work to transport that single, all encompassing workspace around than it
is to try to re-assemble the pieces/parts hither and thither.

I copied the project directory from H: to C: at work, then created a new
iSeries Project with the same name and the work workspace was then able
to access the files just fine.

After I created the associated library on the i, Remote actions->Compile
worked without any problem. I do note that the Verify tells me that
RNF1324: Keywords DFTACTGRP, ACTGRP, or USRPRF are not allowed. which I
can't immediately figure out why that might be, but I'm not terribly
concerned. I'd rather figure out how to create a new file member and be
able to reference it in the verify than worry about dftactgrp.

I think I'll try lugging the whole workspace around and see how that goes.