From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Tom Liotta
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 3:56 PM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Switching to RDI from SEU (was: WDSC V7 Turbo
Boost)

Buck wrote:

WDSC / RDi seems so big, so complicated that the *thought* of it
scares
people off. Once they start using it, even us dinosaurs find it's not
so terrible after all.

I started using CODE/400 and VARPG when they became available for
OS/2. I _still_ haven't made WDSC my "preferred" interface under
Windows simply because it reminds me of real mainframe PL/I --
EVERYTHING you can imagine being in there (somewhere, if you can
find it!) I'll explicitly use it for various activities, but not yet
day in, day out.

I was mostly impressed with the earlier 'Lite' version. Does that
still exist? IMO, that's one of WDSC's failings -- it doesn't
provide an entry-level clear replacement for SEU/PDM. But rather it
provides a whole bunch of stuff that I'll likely never use. I
suspect that a big group of developers see the same view.

If I had a stripped-down WDSC that I could add components to as
their need arose, I'd be much happier.

Even the little bits of java I do are done in a separate Eclipse
install.

Tom Liotta