Larry Ducie wrote:
I understand this. I was just wondering if somebody had an idea when IBM may be shipping a version of RDi based on a newer version of eclipse.
The next release (7.5) will be based on at LEAST Eclipse 3.3, and it's supposed to be available this year. Version 7.5 is a pretty significant release.

Yes, but IBM support two versions of JT400 - one proprietary and the other open source. I would have thought their eclipse-based products may offer something similar.
I am not an IBM developer, but I don't see an open-source version of RAD in the cards anytime soon.

I don't expect them to have a fully supported version of RDi as soon as Ganymede is released but I DO expect them to have a published development roadmap so their customers know what is coming, allowing them to plan accordingly.
This is an interesting point. What do you want to plan? Maybe if IBM understood the business requirement they'd be more willing to do so. Understand, though, that they don't even do that with JT400.

We are paying them for these products after all. This roadmap could possibly include releasing beta versions of RDi (or its components) via the open source community.
You could petition IBM to be in the beta process.

(as an aside I am unconvinced about RDi. The trial version doesn't seem to have all the web stuff I use in WDSCi - but offers me an eclipse-based version of SDA.
That is correct. RDi is not WDSC. RDi is the Eclipse version of ADTS. RDi-SOA is RDi plus the EGL tooling of RBD. Rumors occasionally fly around about RDi-SOA for Java, which would be RDi and RAD, or basically the equivalent of WDSC, but there has been no official statement of whether there will be such an offering.

Not much of a trade in my opinion. If I was going from PDM to RDi I may be excited but going from WDSCi to RDi seems like I'm getting a lot less and paying for it - I may be wrong but it doesn't feel like it. But that is for another thread I'm sure. :-) )
The issue of paying for WDSC has been beaten to death in many threads. WDSC was bundled in the price of 5722WDS - a move that was economically untenable long term. Everything is now unbundled, and you have a choice to buy either ADTS or RDi for the same price. Web tooling, on the other hand, is one of a number of options: for $1200 you can add EGL to your RDi. After that, it's either go the Rational route (RAD) or the open source route, using either a free IDE or something like MyEclipse.

Not an existing VERSION of a product, but the product will continue to be developed. I have every expectation that RDi will move to a newer version of eclipse. Again, I was wondering if anybody knew when that would be.
Version 7.5. This year.

OK, so I sit and wait. :-)
Again, if you have a pressing business need to know the future of the product line, I suggest contacting IBM to get involved with the beta process.

Joe