Hi Aaron,

I didn't see an answer to your question posted yet. Sorry if it's there and
I just missed it.

The answer is no, nothing else needs to be purchased by your clients for you
to connect via RDi to their system. RSE and the debugger use the host
servers included with the i (or i5/OS) operating system. This takes care of
all the basic communications requirements.

I believe those host servers may be optionally installable - I seem to
recall that I ran into one shop who didn't seem to have them installed. But
I'm pretty sure there's no extra charge for them.

The will also need the *BASE and option 60 of WDS (5722-WDS for V5R3/4 or
5761-WDS for V6R1) which is the base SW for any of the compiler packages -
ILE or Heritage compilers in V6R1. Option 60 installs library QDEVTOOLS
which includes the programs and service programs needed for things like
remote text searching, batch compiles, i5/OS project builds, starting debug
sessions, etc.

It's tough to imagine that you would be using RDi to connect to a system
that didn't have the base compiler package(s) installed.

BTW - I should point out that I found this information (and there's a lot
more detail behind this) in a draft of a book on RSE that is in the process
of being published by MCPress due out late September or early October.

The book is written by Don Yantzi and Nazmin Haji. Great book - at least the
draft I saw of it for editing purposes.

Susan Gantner