Start long vent. See short version at bottom, Skip the long version to
ignore my ravings, really, it won't hurt my feelings any.

I know George Farr is the guy to talk to about changes to the language,
but is the best guy to ask about what is needed to get different versions
of the IDE to work, or about how pricing may or may not be handled? I'm
not worried about he future of what I can do with RPG on the system, I'm
more worried about what IBM is doing to make me choose an IDE, We've seen
IBM go her try this for free and then after we like it charge us before,
EGL for example. I know another (not so legal) group of people who
occasionally do the same thing. In this case I get that IBM can't
maintain work at the current price we pay, But if they want me to use RDI
instead of ADTS, They should be priced the same per seat and all I have to
do is pick the one I prefer. If I don't want EGL or Java parts of WDSC,
All I'm getting is ADTS equivalent, (actually not even equivalent, since
RLU, isn't replaced yet and the screen designer seems to still be beta).
But Now I have to pay more?
I've only been programming on this system since the mid 90's. I remember
back then all compilers were sold separately, we had the RPG compiler and
the CL compiler, it's all we needed why pay for more. Then IBM said we
have great news for you, you get all the compilers and development tools
for one price, Now you can use whichever you want, look how much simpler
this is for you. But they priced it wrong apparently, since they couldn't
maintain it that way. And while I have not had the pleasure(?) of
contacting the Rational group about any problems or questions, most email
I see make them sound like more training about the system I program on.
I'm not even sure what to call it after that last marketing change IBM
made, Can someone tell me what to call the system now? I know the
operating system is now "I" (can they even trademark that?) but what is my
system, I program on a power 5 system running the "I" operating system? I
want all the IBM marketing types to go around for a year telling people "I
market 'I'. " Or, for the AIX crowd "I market 'P'. " and see how that
focus turns out for them in confusion factor, I know they said that was
going to be the last name change, but I have one more idea, Change it one
more time, I think application system 400 has a nice ring to it.

That's the long vent.

The short version is....

Who can WE really send emails to? George doesn't seem like the guy who
decided to make this change to our tools. and the way they are bundled.