While testing 6.1 for product compatibility I was able to connect to a
Server running 6.1 with WDSC V7.0 and could also connect to a Server
running V5R4 with RDi

This was at an IBM Testing centre, so licenses were not an issue, but
functionally there does not seem to be a problem with backwards or forwards
compatibility.

regards

James O'Sullivan
Senior Technical Consultant
email: josulli4@xxxxxxx
Office: +44 1252 536681
Fax: +44 1252 534022
www: midrange.csc.com

CSC Corporation Limited
Registered office address: Royal Pavilion, Wellesley Road, Aldershot,
Hampshire, GU11 1PZ, UK.
Registered in England No. 1812179.

CSC Computer Sciences Limited
Registered Office: Royal Pavilion, Wellesley Road, Aldershot, Hampshire,
GU11 1PZ, UK
Registered in England No: 0963578

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

delivery.
purpose.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buck
<kc2hiz@xxxxxxxxx
Sent by: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
wdsci-l-bounces@m cc
idrange.com
Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] RDi licensing -
09/07/2008 15:31 single PC and multiple AS400's

Please respond to
Websphere
Development
Studio Client for
iSeries
<wdsci-l@midrange
.com>

Marie-Line Manchon wrote:

I thought that a few seats were coming with the compilers,
and that you had to pay only for additional seats ?
If I'm wrong, then I have the same question...

Currently, there is one *official* IBM program to upgrade from ADTS to
RDi:
http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?subtype=ca&infotype=an&appname=iSource&supplier=897&letternum=ENUS208-164

I can't really understand it. I think if I buy new hardware I get a
discount on RDi.

It's been reported that several IBMers want to give discounts to move
from WDSC to RDi, but the details have not been *officially* released
yet that I know of.

but if one of my customers buy a new system which comes with RDI,
will I still be able to use WDSC7 to connect to their machine ?

I'd love an official answer to this question, but my guess is that you
can connect with both WDSC and RDi. It depends on how IBM packaged the
'back end' that runs on the i. If 5733-RDI has different code than
5722-WDS, then maybe not.
--
This is the Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries (WDSCI-L)