Buck wrote:
I can tell you I will absolutely not be paying $800US for the privilege of editing RPG code at home (Windows XP SP3.) WDSC is not $800US nicer than Code/400, and RDi has fewer features than WDSC.
You've got your opinion Buck. But I did want to point out some facts: as far as green screen editing goes, RDi has more features than WDSC, not less. If you were using the Java EE capabilities of WDSC, then yes, you will miss them in RDi and even RDi-SOA. But that's because you were essentially getting the capabilities of RAD (a $4000 package) for no extra charge. (Note the no extra charge bit - not free, because you were paying for 5722WDS, but definitely you were getting a whole lot more than you did before there ever was a WDSC).

For hobby programming of non-web apps, RDi seems rather much.
I don't know what you mean by hobby programming. I program all the time, some of it billable, some of it not, but it's all about learning new things. I don't know that I consider that a hobby. My garden is a hobby, my music is a hobby. Programming is my career.

I gave Eclipse a try at home for Python, Java, C and some PIC development, but it's quite a large footprint and for the most part codeedit.exe does virtually everything I need.
Eclipse is a large footprint? That's something of a minority position these days. My installation of Eclipse 3.3. is about 170MB. iSeries Access is 230MB, Paint Shop Pro is 270MB, Open Office is 311MB. Heck, the Java 5 SDK is 283MB. Visual Studio is 2.3GB, and the MSDN library is another 2GB.

If I ever get to the point where I run my own web server (unlikely) I might look at Eclipse harder, but I won't be paying the retail price (what, $1995US?) for RDi-SOA for what is essentially hobby work.
That makes sense to me. I wouldn't be paying two grand for a hobby. Well, okay my Kurzweil K-2500 cost a little more than that when I bought it, but I was single and carefree <grin>. But again, I have some confusion over the term "hobby work". If you're not planning to use EGL as a core component in your modernization strategy, then I agree that RDi-SOA makes no sense. But the decision to use RDi or ADTS (both of which cost the same) is a no-brainer to me. I haven't used SEU in weeks, and while there are occasionally things I need in PDM, it's getting rarer and rarer.

Joe