What does your error log show after that happens? Also, for grins and giggles, you may want to try taking write authority away from the file and see if WDSCi complains when you open it.

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Doug Averill
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 3:57 PM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] HTML that calls CGI corrupted by WSDCi

thanks Matt, we will look at that.

Really odd thing.

We have a working html that is called or invoked by a cgi after sucessful login.
that works fine. built, edited using visual studio, then uploaded to the server using Ops Nav.
all good so far.

Then my webmaster just opens the html in WDSCi, just to view, does not even save, and something about the file definition breaks so that the cgi invoke after returns a 500 error. Again, he did not edit or save anything, only looked at it

Very odd.

Doug Averill
Director of Communications and Information Technology
Multnomah Athletic Club
503-517-2325

"Haas, Matt (CL Tech Sv)" <matt.haas@xxxxxxxxxxx> 5/8/2008 12:41 PM >>>
Doug,

Take a look at the exec statement to see if spaces (or line breaks) are getting inserted after the "<!--" and before the "-->". I haven't used the HTML editor in WDSCi for anything but it may be trying to make comments look pretty and messing you up.

If you still can't figure it out, create a test instance of your HTTP server and start it up with option -vv. Make a request for your page and end the HTTP server. This will produce a trace log that will show you what the server is doing with your page. That may shed some light on things.

As an aside, if there is a section of that page that changes frequently, you may want to use a SSI to pull in just that part. That way, you don't have to worry about exec's getting messed up.

Matt