Buck wrote:
I certainly don't want to be seen as putting words into Joe's mouth, but I think I can help clarify. All the names have changed. We're currently accustomed to thinking of

Green GUI
ADTS WDSCi

ADTS is all the green screen stuff, SEU, PDM, compilers; everything that works off a 5250 command line. WDSCi is all the stuff that gets loaded on your PC, RSE, Lpex, EGL; everything that runs off your PC.
You're fine as ar as you go, Buck, and actually the new packaging is much closer to what you say above. RDi really, truly is the GUI replacement for ADTS. Because the original WDSC was built on top of RAD, you also got an entire web development toolset along with it. I've always said that WDSC was the greatest deal System i developers ever got. But of course, in the end there is no free lunch and IBM finally figured out how to separate the components.

By the way, they (IBM) insist that's because "some customers" were complaining that they were paying for things they didn't need. I'd like to meet those customers. Preferably someplace dark...

In i5/OS V6R1, almost every function comes in a separate package with a new name. RDi isn't WDSCi with a new name tag. Rational looked at what was in WDSCi and some of it went into RDi and some of it did not. EGL went into a different product, RDi-SOA.
I concur with this, except let's be really clear. RDi-SOA is really just a bundle. It includes RDi and RBD (Rational Business Developer). RBD is the EGL tooling, which by its nature includes a bunch of web stuff. However, the real web tooling is RAD, Rational Application Developer. If you want to develop web stuff and not use EGL, you're supposed to buy RAD.

Joe