Thierry Bernard wrote:
Joe Pluta wrote:
That's pretty much it. If the current cost for development tools ($800 a seat, as opposed to $1200 a seat for MS Visual Studio Professional) makes you leave the platform then that's going to happen. Your only hope is to convince IBM to give you a non-profit discount like Microsoft does.
The 800$ does not include the compilers...
I agree. But we're getting to the reality of the situation. We're still not quite sure how the licensing works on the compilers. As Jon Paris pointed out pretty damned eloquently, IBM is almost daring people to use one user profile to compile all programs. It's not pretty, but it's within the letter of the law. IBM needs to address that, and I think the way to do so is to use concurrent licensing.

And as I've pointed out repeatedly on this very subject, the licensing issue of named vs. concurrent users is probably the single biggest issue that needs to be ironed out.

My problem is that if you all spend all of your breath complaining about something that just isn't going to change (like WDSC getting V6R1 support), then you're going to miss the boat on the important bit, which is the licensing.

Am I making myself clear? I don't even disagree that it would be nice to have V6R1 support in WDSC, I'm simply saying it's not the most important battle - the definition of a user is probably the single most important issue that will confront System i developers this decade, and I don't think I'm being grandiose about it.

If I had to pick ONE battle, concurrent licensing is the one I'd pick, with ADTS -> RDi entitlement being a very close second.

Joe