Newsgroups: midrange.wdsci-l
To: <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 10:58 AM
Subject: [WDSCI-L] Enter key changing behavior unexpectedly

By the way... I have a problem with the Enter key that I'm not sure is something that happens only to me. Sometimes it is surprising, but, mostly, it is frustrating and maddening.

When I press the Enter key in the middle of a line, does anybody know why sometimes the Enter key splits a line, but sometimes it inserts a blank new line after the current line?

Example: if I press Enter with my cursor located after the word "is" in the following text:

Line 1: this is the first line
Line 2: this is the second line

Sometimes I get the following (splitted line 1 into 2 lines):

Line 1: this is
Line 2: the first line
Line 3: this is the second line

And sometimes I get the following (inserts a blank line after line 1):

Line 1: this is the first line
Line 2:
Line 3: this is the second line

It seems to me that I may have been switching by accident some sort of editor mode.