Joe Pluta wrote:
Justin Taylor wrote:
Joe--I hope you are right about an upgrade path to RDi but the chat seems pretty clear on the issue.

"Question from Mkirkpatrick: Are there any circumstances under which one is entitled to copies of RDi or RDi-S? If not, what is the pricing?
GeorgeFarr says: No chance of entitlement. RDi and RDi SOA are NEW products. RDi is $795."
I know, Justin, but what we talked about with IBM was the ability to upgrade from ADTS to RDi. Obviously it's in IBM's best interests to allow ADTS users to move to RDi, and since they cost the same, the logical thing is to allow ADTS seats to migrate to RDi. So if are entitled to ADTS seats, and you then upgrade them to RDi, that's not an RDi entitlement, but it's effectively the same thing.

Seems odd though. From a strictly mathematical perspective, Rational can't make more money by giving away seats to RDi. I thought the whole idea was for Rational to make more money.

They can afford to give away seats to SEU because SEU is dead. They have to have an intern answer the phone and support email with a 'SEU is retired. Why not try a modern development tool like RDi?' Their cost is very low, so they can afford to give away SEU.

But they have a team of developers working away on RDi, so they need to fund that effort. If every one of us WDSC users (how many is that, anyway?) gets a free copy of RDi, where will Rational get income from RDi? They aren't going to be selling more units; they couldn't give it away! All that's left is raise prices, right?

It's just the way it is. Not a complaint! I need to figure out how to convince the boss to spend $800 per person plus a new annual maintenance expense, and if there's any place I'd like to see the conversation turn, that's it. I like WDSC and want to keep using it. I need the ammo to convince the boss.
--buck