If neither is the case, then it comes down to the data: it's easier (in my
opinion) to pass complex data with ProgramCall than with stored procedures
because ProgramCall supports data structures very nicely. So in the end, I
tend to favor the ProgramCall technique.

Note that in V6R1 the PCML is stored with an RPG module (or *can* be stored
with the module) vs. having it in a separate IFS file. This is cool because
now we could essentially query that *PGM object asking what procedures and
parameters are public and effectively build the Java code to make the call.
I am assuming they will have system API's that allow this.

If Steve Richter is listening, this is exactly the direction you were
looking for in RPG (or at least a start) - essentially a sort of
"reflection" (using term loosly) of an RPG program.

That PCML feature coupled with RPG's new thread safe capabilities would make
the perfect case for an RPG Application Server (RAS - I said it first :-)
over HTTP that allows for persistent connections that don't have to start a
new job for each connection and instead maintain a persistent thread. Based
on a token sent from the client, a router type program should be able to
spawn and match up request and response communications to/from threads. I
am not well versed in application server guts so a lot of this is "brain
storming statements" that may or may not be feasible. Joe, any comments on
the usefulness or possibility of such a server?

Cool stuff.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com