From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vernon Hamberg
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2007 11:35 AM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Comparing source members

Folks

I find I need a merge many times. The best one, and what I use almost
all the time, is option 55 in PDM. Nothing else gives me the
flexibility of that tool, and I won't apologize for mentioning it on
this list. The RSE Extensions are next best for me, but they strip
the source sequence and source change date. Sequence is not such a
big deal, but change date can be. That will be a loss, in my view,
when going to editing in IFS and using subversion, etc. Good
directions, but we won't know when individual lines changed the same
way we do now - but I may have missed something obvious, like how
changes are kept.

Now maybe I should fire up Arcad's plugin emulator and run the PDM
option or directly run the MRGSRC - could even create a member option
for it - heh!

The thing I get in 55 option is the split SEU screen that shows me
the changes - and lets me apply the ones I want to. Again, RSE
Extensions seems to do that, but I don't use it for that, for reasons
already stated and others I can't think of now. Every other merge
tool does the merge, then leaves you with a report saying what was
done - you then have to fix things that should not have been done.
Guess it depends which end of things you want to spend your time on.
Different strokes ---

Later
Vern