Here's a little quirk I just found today. Although I've become a big fan of
filter pools, I just found an idiosyncrasy that I'm not crazy about, and it
has to do with related connections.

Filters can be created either to a single connection or shared among all
connections. The latter is great when all your connections are to the same
machine, or the same environment. But when you have multiple machines,
multiple clients, or just multiple projects, it's nice to set up filter
specific to a connection. And it's quite easy: there's a checkbox that
allows you to make the filter private or shared.

However, when you create a filter pool, it is by definition shared among all
your connections. This wouldn't be an issue, except that when you expand a
connection and then go to do something to an object in a shared pool (e.g.,
add a member to a file), WDSC fires up the default connection rather than
the connection you've actually expanded.

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to create a private filter pool. You
can do it: switch out of filter pool mode, create a private filter, and then
switch back to filter pool mode. You'll see a new filter called something
like "MACHINENAME filter pool for CONNECTIONNAME". That is your one and
only private filter pool. You cannot rename it, nor can you duplicate it.
You're stuck with one filter pool.

I have no idea why this is limited this way. You ought to be able to create
as many private filter pools as you need, just as you create shared filter
pools.

JOe