albartell skrev den 06-07-2007 14:07:
Thorbjørn, being that I believe Buck is doing mostly RPG with his XP
approach I was wondering if you were recommending "test-driven development"
for RPG and how you go about doing that. The reason I ask is I have my own
methods that I use where I call on Junit to make a Java Toolbox call to an
RPG *PGM on the iSeries which simply calls predefined programs and returns
whether or not they were successful (i.e. I wrap them in MONITOR blocks and
have predefined result fields I compare them to).

Was your comment based on RPG unit testing?

Sorry, but no - I am just-the-Java-middleware guy. I would take the same approach that you do, if I had to so, as WSDCi knows how to do junit but not rpgunit which Buck apparently have found, so less work have to be done.

I would be happy to discuss the issue of how to minimize the work needed when invoking AS/400 stuff from Java in a separate thread as this is a thing that we will see more and more as Java is great for interfacing with the rest of the world with XML, SOAP, JDBC, etc etc etc, but less so for supporting legacy work.

--
Thorbjørn