Steve,

I had the exact same problem, with IBM support help I was able to get to
work. Here is their response, the first part didn't work for me, I had
to uninstall, cleanup, and reinstall.

--------
I would like for you to try the following first:

1. Close workbench
2. Start up workbench by running the following command: **NOTE THIS
NO LONGER WORKS ONCE UPDATES ARE INSTALLED**
c:\Program Files\IBM\Rational\SDP\6.0\rationalsdp -clean

3. Review .log file for stringNL if found delete the
eclipse/configuration folder.

If the problem doesn't go away. Please try the following:
1. Close workbench

2. Delete the following 2 folders from the c:\Program
Files\IBM\Rational\SDP\6.0\eclipse\configuration folder
(only the org.eclipse.osgi and org.eclipse.update subfolders of the
configuration folder need to be cleared).

3. restart workbench

Also, are you running any firewalls or proxy servers?

You may end up having to do an uninstall, clean up, then reinstall. If
it comes to that I will send you instructions on cleanup.
---
--------Here is what worked for
me----------------------------------------------------------------------

You can view the document at the following URL
http://www-912.ibm.com/8625680A007CA5C6/1AC66549A21402188625680B0002037E
/B4EAB2F23609F1098625708300792A91

Document Number: 391041398
Functional Area: Operating System
SubFunctional Area: Programming
SubSubFunctional Area: WDS
Product: INSTALL WDSC V400 V500 V510 V512 - WDSC5 INSTALL (5722WDS87)
Release: V5R1M0; V5R2M0; V5R3M0

Classification: Public Use

Document Title:Cleanup for V6.0 WebSphere Development Client or
WebSphere Development Studio Client AE Document Description:
If the installation of V6.0 IBM(r) WebSphere(r) Development Studio
client fails, do the following to clean it up:

1 Uninstall WebSphere Development Studio client by using Start >

Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.

2 After uninstalling all Rational based products, determine if folder

C:\Windows\IBM\RAT60 still exists. If it still exists, delete it.

Note: The key point is all. If the user has other Rational
products
(for example, Rational Performance Tester), do not touch any files
in
the RAT60 folder.

3 Remove the following keys from the Microsoft(r) Windows(r)
Registry:

Caution: This process requires making changes to the Windows

Registry. If you are not familiar with this process, contact a

service representative.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SOFTWARE\IBM\Rational\Software Development

Platform\components

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SOFTWARE\IBM\Rational\Software Development

Platform\products\com.ibm.radi

To find the keys, click on Start > Run. Then type regedit, and
press
OK.

4 Assuming the previous installation used the default directory, it

should be in C:\Program Files\IBM\Rational\SDP\*. Delete the
folder
C:\Program Files\IBM\Rational\SDP\6.0. Rename

C:\WINNT\vpd.properties to C:\WINNT\old_vpd.properties. If it was

not using the default directory, delete the customized directory
that
was used before reinstalling.

Notes:

1

The directory could be WINNT or WINDOWS.

2

A problem with the jre.bkup can happen if the user cleans up

their machine by uninstalling all the Rational tools (including

WebSphere Development Studio Client) but does not delete the

folders, and then the user reinstalls it in the same directory.

Ensure the user includes the physical deletion of the

installation directory folder.

5 Reboot the PC.

Start the WebSphere Development Studio client installation again.

Dan A. Pankowski
Sinclair Services Company
Information Technology Department
dpankowski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx