You would be the last person I would consider a jerk Buck :-) You make an
excellent point and here are my results.

Executing STRDBG PGM1 from command line took less than 1 sec. Pressing F6
to add break point to PGM1 took even less than STRDBG. Calling the debugged
program and having it stop on the first executable line of code took less
than 1 second. At this point I would consider I am at the same point as
WDSC.

So to tally the numbers I would say that I am safely under 3 seconds on the
green screen side and still at 20 seconds on the WDSC side.

To address Joe's comments, it COULD be network latency, but I am only going
through one switch and one router (read two devices) to get to my iSeries by
way of IP address. Note that the iSeries and my PC are both on the same
subnet (not sure if that makes a difference, but I am not working on a large
network that could lose speed through complication and many traversals).

If your program activates a service program, and that service program has
many procedures, it will take a noticeable amount of time to initialise all
the storage in all those procedures.

Does initialization of that service program actually happen when the caller
is initialized or when the actual line of code making use of that service
program is executed? It may resolve the location of the high level service
program where the specific sub proc resides, but I would be surprised if it
went through all of the initialization of that service programs modules.
Are you sure on this point? I am asking because I am not for certain, just
something I have assumed. Note the service programs used in my case are
bind by reference which most likely makes a big difference.

Thanks,
Aaron Bartell