Ctrl-Shift-A presents a dialog allowing a source member to be opened
for edit or browse.
Would it be possible to have a similar arrangement for adding to an
iSeries project?
Expanding lists in RSE to find the correct source member can be
tedious and time-consuming
(we have 3-4 levels of 'production' source + modification +
development).

Have you tried using filters? I use a generic filter just for this, I
change the definition to the find the source members I am going to work
on and refresh the filter.  Since the filter can use wildcards '*' it is
easier to let the filter find the members in the multiple source files
we use than to drill down through each of them independently.  Once the
members are displayed I select the ones I need, right click and add them
to the iSeries Project.

I know this isn't what you asked for, but it is a nice alternative to
finding each source member by expanding the individual source files.

Mike