Joe,

If you choose to abandon a tool because it doesn't have one of your favorite
UI conveniences then that's your prerogative.  What are you gonna do, Bob, go
back to SEU?

No. I would go back to CodeStudio (but I don't want to)--which has some
limitations, but its much more Windows-like for editing, it is (imho) vastly
superior to the RSE editor, unless you really LOVE SEU and want that interface.
I love SEU's interface on the Green Screen.
I HATE!!!!!!!!!! SEU's interface in a GUI--it slows you down some 50 to 90% in
productivity. Moving over to line commands? Sheeze!
For example, how do you delete a line of source?
In CodeStudio you press Ctrl+D.
I cannot find an equivalent in WDSC.
I know I can move over to the SEU seqnbr and enter a D, then press Enter. But I
want to go back to green screen SEU every time I have to do that.

Or are you going to just abandon a great product that everybody is using
because you can't drag and drop a line?

Ah... "everybody" isn't using it. If you find 5,000 users (out of what? 300,000
to 600,000 world-wide) using it, I'd be surprised.
"everybody" is subjective.

No Joe, I want it to work, I want it to be successful. I am planning on being a
advocate for it. I'm just very surprised that in 2006 a tool as strong as WDSC
has many (all?) of the limitations and shortcomings that Editing that CODE/400
had so many years ago.

Some of my experiences are simply a lack of time using RSE--but that will
change, I tend to pick things up quickly.

And please don't compare a toy like Notepad that is bundled with a $200 OS to
WDSC. Notepad is Windows' "UPDDTA" or SEU. It is not Microsoft Visual Studio.
You expect and accept limitations in Notepad and SEU, you don't expect or accept
them in the professional development environment.

At some point the RPG community has to let go of the SEU/PDM/SDA nipple. But if
the replacement offers that same user-interface, you'll only get limited buy-in.
People that hate green screen editing will move to anything (even Notepad), but
the majority will not see a compelling reason to go through a large learning
curve only to do exactly what they are already doing, nearly the same way they
are doing it, but with lipstick.

The good news in WDSC 7, to me, is WDSC is a great improvement over the old
CODE/400 package. I can load it, edit, close it down, open it back up, and it
does all of that very quickly. It also doesn't take long to pull down a member
and save it back to the host.

-Bob Cozzi
www.i5PodCast.com
Ask your manager to watch i5 TV