From: albartell

If the US$3500/seat WDSCi cost is true and SEU/PDM/SDA is dead but still
does the job then for me WDSCi is deprecated and I will not have to
continually badger my programmers on how they are going with WDSCi.

Fact straightening: WDSC AE (Advanced Edition) is what costs the extra
money.  WDSC Standard 6.x and 7.x are still no additional charge.

Well, I dunno about "fact straightening", since my original post was pretty
clear: WDSC AE (advanced edition) is an extra $3500 per seat.  But thanks
for the clarification anyway, Aaron.  What is not completely clear yet is
whether or not the Eclipse-based SDA replacement will only be available in
AE.

Before we go a lot further here, I want to stop one trend: whenever this
kind of stuff comes up, there is a tendency to blame "IBM" as if it were one
amorphous entity.  And because the only people we see in IBM are folks on
this list and people like George and Kou-Mei, they tend to be the ones upon
whom our scorn is heaped.

But nothing should be further from the truth.  George (and all the folks in
Toronto) are our very, very best friends.  And even the people making the
rather insane pricing demands (that would be the Rational section over in
Software Group) are not BAD people, they just don't understand the iSeries
community.

What I HOPE can come of this is the opportunity for us to unite and tell ALL
of the folks at IBM what's what: namely, that we have been paying and
continue to pay a high markup on our beloved box so that we DON'T have to
pay a la carte for every tool.  You want to get per-seat licensing, go after
the xSeries and pSeries people who pay next to nothing for their hardware.
Or go after the zSeries folks who think nothing of spending $5000 for a
development seat.

But don't try to gouge the iSeries community, because that'll get you
nowhere real fast.

Joe