                                From: DLee@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 6:30 AM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Debug in WDSC

Bill;

It would be a great mistake for your company to move away from the
iSeries!!! It is by far the most reliable system on the market today, and
has been for decades. That's why it has been around for so long.

IBM continually upgrades the hardware and software, to keep ahead of other
technology's

Do what you will with websphere, I agree with you in that respect, but the
system itsself is way ahead of anything else out there.

Also, you don't need to hire any java programmers to serve webpages from
iSeries, just go to CGI using rpg.

Bradley Stone has a great book, and product, that deals only with
generating web pages using rpg. Look into it.

I have written many web applications, just using rpg and no java.

Websphere is involved only as the server.

Take this from someone who hardly ever responds to these email, I just
read, listen, hopefully learn. In this case, I just had to say something.

Darrell Lee
Information Technology

jstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/25/2006 08:13 AM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries

Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] Debug in WDSC

So far I am not impressed with the quality of WDSC. It seems to have
been released as a pre-beta version with many "GOTCHA's" such as the
compile errors in SQLRPGLE and the conversion problem with embedded SQL
and the fact that you can't create a DSPF only maintain it the same for
PRTF.

In reading the WEB page when I first signed up for this service I read
the 4 reasons for switching to WDSC and 3 of them were directly related
to WEBSPHERE. We aren't going to switch to WEBSPHERE ever. The 3 year
plan here is to move off the iSeries completely and find another
platform solution for our flagship application, I don't know if that
decision can be changed, the perception is that the iSeries is an
antiquated platform with no future. Part of the problem is that it has
taken so long for anyone to come up with a viable WEB interface that
does not require hiring JAVA programmers and expanding the iSeries to
handle the load of WEBSPHERE not to mention the added expense to beef up
the desktops to handle JAVA applications.

Bill,

Is there any IDE that you've been impressed with? Any other eclipse
environment? How about visual studio? How about a 4GL development
environment? Is this possibly the first development enviornment that
you've been in other than SEU/SDA? If that's the case - then, YES, I can
feel your pain. It's tough leaning a new way to do things. Think how our

users feel each time we install an new version of their old programs!

My impression from reading your posts are that you just have sour grapes
because WDSC is different than SEU and SDA. You WILL have these types of
issues - no matter where you go. It doesn't matter if you go to java, C#,

C++, .Net, Linux, or a 4GL - things change. And, new systems have bugs.

As far as DSPF's and PRTF's - I use CODE for them. It's much eaiser for
me to drag a field around my screen, than to do the > and ='s of SDA.

I'm an RPG programmer - started as an RPG programmer - remember when they
added sub-files and display file programming, or when they added the
ability to call other programs? We meet all of those new enhancements
with excitement. Yes, it was hard to get over the learning curve, but we
all did it - and we created better applications because of it. IF you
embrace WDSC and the new way to develop applications - and push through
the learning curve (with the help of this WDSC list) - you too will look
back on these times and think that they were great enhancements - not
GOTCHA's.

Just my .02 worth.

Good luck with it.

Jeff Stevens