Steve

What an opportunity! Some thoughts - first, I want to clarify the use of the word Websphere - it has become an umbrella label under which anything has to come for shelter that wants to survive at IBM. Having said that, there is something called Websphere Application Server (WAS) that many think of when they say just "Websphere", and that is NOT what we are talking about here. What you need is known as Websphere Development Studio Client. The requirement for this on iSeries is that you have WebSphere Development Studio installed (5722-WDS). If you use PDM, it is installed. It also need soption 60 of WDS installed to activate the use of the client - there is very little if any code in that option, as far as I know, more of a marker than anything, seems to me.

Given that you have WDS installed, you should have CDs or DVD of the standard client, which will be all you need. If things are good, you should have version 6. If you only have 5, that is OK, you can still work just fine, but you want to order the free upgrade eventually. In either case you want to install the client, then do the software update process in it - that can be found in the Help menu. Once you have the latest of your version, you want to set up the Remote Systems Explorer (RSE) and check for iSeries PTFs there - you can also get the list at the site I'll give below, to be ahead of the game.

The site is www.ibm.com/software/ad/wdt400 and has lots of good information. There is a link on the right on how to order the latest client tools for WDS users (that's us, folks!) and another on required PTFs, so you can pre-order what you need. BTW, if you have the version 5 media, you need to order the whole thing (free) to get version 6 - can't download it.

There is also a link there to a tour of WDSC - good starting point to get oriented. If you take that link, you are on the library page, where there are other good items, including several presentations. There are also demos - you want to concentrate on Remote Systems Explorer items (RSE). Finally, there are tutorials - you'll see what you need. There are things for both versions 5 & 6 there, so you should be good to go.

I'm going to go on a limb here - I don't recommend using iseries projects right off the bat - someone else might have better luck there, but i don't use them at all, as I do everything locally and use a software change management product that does a lot more than projects can do. I always thought the limitation to a single library was a bummer - but we have several products, each in there own library, with some common elements, so we need something broader in scope. Still, there are tutorials and demos, so you can make up your own mind there.

Hope this helps get you going. Oh yeah, there is help with the product - a monster to navigate but the RPG manuals are there, as well as more tutorials and stuff.

Vern