OK.  I tried clearing the cache.  Now when I attempt to refresh the outline JMV
crashes!  Just for one particular source member, though.  I can refresh cache
for other members OK.  I seem to have some bad data cached locally for that one
source member.

Nazmin Haji <haji@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Hi Brian

If I understand you correctly, when the refresh cache is turned on, the
outline view faster than when the refresh cache is turned off.
If this is what you are experiencing, then it seems that there is a problem
with the cached copy of the external description.
Have you tried clearing the cache? Window->Preferences->Remote
Systems->iSeries->Cache. Press Clear. Turn on the refresh cache, create the
outline view. Then turn off the refresh cache. Refresh outline view should
be faster.

Regards,
Nazmin Haji

             Brian Johnson

             yahoo.com>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  Websphere Development Studio Client
             wdsci-l-bounces+h         for iSeries
             aji=ca.ibm.com@mi                                          cc
             drange.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [WDSCI-L] Outline will not
             02/23/2006 09:23          refresh the workstn file
             PM

             Please respond to
                 Websphere
                Development
             Studio Client for
                  iSeries

Nazmin,

Perhaps you have some advice for me.  My problem with outline refresh is
that, with refresh-cache turned off, the outline refresh takes about twice
as long.  I leave refresh-cache turned on all the time, and live with slow
outline refresh, but not as slow as with refresh -cache enabled.

The performance advantage of not refreshing the cache does not seem to
exist for me.

Nazmin Haji  wrote: Hi Bill

Program verifier and the outline view (which does verify underneath) do
cache the external descriptions. When  cached external descriptions exist,
they are used in subsequent verification for performance reasons. If the
external file description is changed, you need to specify the refresh cache
option to retrieve the new external description. Under
Window->Preferences->Remote Systems->iSeries->Program Verifiers, check the
Refresh cache button, and then create / refresh the outline view.
This should obtain the new file descriptions.
Remember to uncheck the Refresh cache button once the modification to the
DDS is completed, to improve performance.

Regards,
Nazmin Haji

             "Bill Tobiasson"

             asta.ca.us>                                                To
             Sent by:
             wdsci-l-bounces@m                                          cc
             idrange.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [WDSCI-L] Outline will not refresh
             02/21/2006 06:54          the workstn file
             PM

             Please respond to
                 Websphere
                Development
             Studio Client for
                  iSeries

When I change the DDS and even remove a format from the workstn file the
outline for the RPG member does not reflect the changes. It ever hangs
on to a deleted format. After doing a right click and show fields I get
to correct list of fields and also the fields are corrected for the
Outline of the remaining format. The deleted formats are still there in
the outline. I have done several refreshes, project clean, and other
things to get it to forget the old formats to no avail. It's a small
thing but annoying. The fields of the deleted formats are showing in the
outline like they are still a part of the RPG source. How do I make them
go away?

Bill Tobiasson
County of Shasta, IT