There are a couple of ways to get what you want from iSeries projects. If
you submit compiles to run immediately then the push, compile, and error
retrieval all happen together. Turn this on by going to Windows >
Preferences > iSeries Projects > Build and Compile and uncheck the "Run
compiles as batch jobs" option.

If you prefer to run your compiles a batch jobs then, when the job is
submitted, you should be seeing the iSeries Job Status tab pop up after the
job is submitted. Your job will appear in the list. If you set the slider
to monitor the jobs every so often you'll see the job complete and the
errors can then be retrieved by selecting the job, bringing up the context
menu and Task Actions > Retrieve Errors.

Since compiles can depend on other files in the project, compiles always do
a "push changes" prior to the compile to ensure that /COPY members are
handled properly.
_______________________
David Dykstal
david_dykstal@xxxxxxxxxx

             "Fleming, Greg
             \(ED\)"
             <GFLEMING@evergla                                          To
             desdirect.com>            <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             wdsci-l-bounces+d
             avid_dykstal=us.i                                     Subject
             bm.com@xxxxxxxxxx         [WDSCI-L] Iseries Project Navigator
             om

             02/15/2006 10:16
             AM

             Please respond to
                 Websphere
                Development
             Studio Client for
                  iSeries

I'm new to WDSC, and have installed the latest and greatest (even got
WDSC-Lite yesterday).

I was poking around with creating projects, and it seems that if I've
collected some source members into a project, and work with them from
the Iseries Project Navigator view, then I am working with files on the
PC, and must "push" them back to the Iseries before compiling them.
When I want to compile them, I can't just run a compile from the LPEX
editor, but must do it as a "remote action" from the Project Navigator.
This appears to have the downside of not returning an error list, or
indeed any indication of whether the compile succeeded or failed.

I like being able to group several source members together under a
project heading, but I also like the way compiles behave when I am
working from the RSE perspective.

Is there no way to get the best of both worlds, or must I choose one or
the other ?

Greg Fleming

Programmer/Analyst

Everglades Direct, Inc.