Hi Michael,

1) What if you put the command keys above the application area?  That way
they would be able to always see them (but might have to scroll to see the
bottom rows of the subfile?  Or, maybe use a tighter frame/header and
smaller fonts to cram more on the existing screen.   How would you like to
see this problem solved?

2) I suspect this is because a proportional font is being used.  There you
will find that text is less wide than with the fixed pitch fonts of the
5250.  Also you will note that with WF the positioning of the elements is
based on their left-most column position.  So if you have something else
on the screen that is taking up extra space in one or more columns between
the start of the string and the start of the entry field it can move the
apparent entry field position to the right.

Mike

Mike Hockings, P.Eng.
WebSphere Development Tools for AS/400  -  CODE/Designer & WebFacing !
IBM Canada Ltd. Laboratory
hockings@xxxxxxxxxx

"Michael Soucy" <michaelsoucy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
2006-01-25 22:02
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries

"Websphere e-list" <WDSCI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[WDSCI-L] Webfacing problems

Greetings,

I'm having a couple of problems with two webfaced project that I'm working
on, and thought maybe someone out there could help.  Both projects I am
working with were created using WDSCi version 5.1.2.4.  Here are the two
problems I am having.

1.  I am having a problem with the location of the command buttons that
are being displayed on one particular page.  This particular page has a
subfile and below the subfile is the command buttons.  This is actually
two screens combined with the OVERLAY keyword.  These command buttons
replace the use of the function keys in the green screen version (i.e.
F3=Exit).  The problem is that when the program adds a record to the
subfile, and the page is refreshed the size of the subfile increases, and
eventually the command buttons get moved off of the viewing area.  The
only way to see the command buttons is to use the scroll bar and scroll
down to the bottom of the page.  What I would like to know is there a way
to fix the problem?  The users are complaining that they have to hit the
scroll bar to see the function keys and that it's annoying to them.

2.  This second problem is more of a cosmetic thing.  In another project
there is a page where there is a constant that is 63 characters long
followed by one space, and then a 10 character entry field.  When the
webfaced project is created and run in the test environment the page shows
the 63 character constant and then there is a big gap (looks like about 12
or so character spaces) and then the 10 character entry field. There is
nothing functionally wrong with it but, it just looks weird.   I've tried
everything I can think of to reduce the gap between the constant and the
entry field but have had no luck.  Has anyone else experienced this
problem?  Is there a way to get around this problem, or is it just a quirk
with webfacing?

Sorry for the long e-mail but, I wanted to make sure I explained my
problem as detailed as possible.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Soucy
michaelsoucy@xxxxxxxxxxx