You're right: Checking "Case sensitive" or "Regular expression" helps in
some cases. That's a workaround at least. Thanks.

The problem is surely not a simple one to solve because the correct
capitalization of 'ß' is indeed 'SS'.

Freundliche Grüße
Robbin D. Knapp, IT
Artweger GmbH. & Co., Sulzbach 159, 4820 Bad Ischl, Austria
Tel. +43 6132 205-48, Fax +43 6132 205-102
mailto:robbin.knapp@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.artweger.at

wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx schrieb am 11.11.2005 14:12:59:

> I'll have a look at your findings.  The problem seems to be mainly with
> the way in which the Java language handles uppercasing in different
locales.

> I thinks you'll get the expected results when you check the "Case
> sensitive" checkbox in the find dialog (in which case there are no case
> changes done during the search).
>
> robbin.knapp@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > On a different but related note, searching for 'ß' (the German "sz
> > ligature") will find not only 'ß' but also 'ss' and vice versa. This
may be
> > a feature, but there is no way to search for only 'ß' or only 'ss'
AFAIK.
> > Not only does a search for 'ss' find 'ß', a search for a single 's'
also
> > finds 'ß'. This can all be lived with, but as soon as you start
replacing
> > instead of just searching, you have to be careful. Searching for 'ss'
or
> > 'ß' marks the 'ß' and the character after it, no matter what character
it
> > is. That means both of theses characters are also replaced. Major
error.

> > Also, searching for any character on a line with 'ß' in it after the
'ß'
> > does not work. For example, I don't like the vertical bar ('|')
characters