From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Mark Phippard
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 4:06 PM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: RE: [WDSCI-L] Subversion and WDSC

wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 05/03/2005 04:54:50 PM:

> I think we must be on different pages because I still think this allows
me
> to do change control with my RPG code (maybe the details you know about
> Subversion is what I am missing).
>
> I plan on using WDSc to edit my source and therefore I have a client for
CVS
> (which is acceptable for me because I don't use SEU anymore).  And if
> Subversion can run the CVS service on the iSeries and store the code in
the
> IFS then I am golden, right?  All I need to do is Update and Commit to
> retrieve and post source.
>
> Right now I do not have a CVS service (or server, whatever you want to
call
> it) running on my iSeries because I didn't find one that supported
OS/400.

> Maybe the question I need to ask is this: Where does Subversion store
the
> code on the iSeries?  If it is in the IFS then I can just point my RPG
> compile commands from WDSc to point at that location.

Subversion is a replacement for CVS.  The Subversion server can run on
OS/400, and when it does, the repository is in the IFS.  However, like
virtually all non-iSeries version control tools the repository itself is
not directly accessible.  So the fact that the repository is on the IFS
does not matter.

Once there is a Subversion client for OS/400 you could write a post-commit
hook to mirror the source to the IFS, or perhaps even a normal source file
as it is committed.

My issue is that the development process itself is not well supported
right now.  If you do a checkout from Subversion to the IFS, or your PC,
do you feel you have all the tools you need to support your development
process?  Personally, I do not think so.  You can use LPEX but you do not
get all of the features, and you still have no easy way to compile.  We
are essentially dealing with the same issues in trying to develop
Subversion itself.  The source is in C, but we have to store it in the IFS
and have therefore had to create most of our own tools for working with
it.

In the case of RPG, copybooks are a little weird in the IFS, and then
there are all the third party tools that a lot of people use like Hawkeye
or ASC or debuggers.  Do they all work if your source is in the IFS?

I think these are solvable problems and someday likely will.  I am saying
that if you want to do this today, you almost have to be that person that
solves these problems.

Mark