From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Mark Phippard
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 8:20 AM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: RE: [WDSCI-L] JSR 223

I think Colin's point is that if you plan on using the Java toolbox to
access the iSeries, and you want to run the application in WAS Express,
then using PHP over JSP is a suspect choice at best.  If you are going to
make the investment in WebSphere and Java then you might as well just use
JSP.

Mark

wdsci-l-bounces+markp=softlanding.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 09/17/2004
09:15:32 AM:

> That's true. The scripts are similar in that respect. I was just saying
you
> don't need to actually code a Servlet or JSP. The PHP script binds the
Java
> classes directly.
>
> I'm absolutely not saying PHP is better than JSPs or Servlets. These are
all
> very useful tools. I just happen to like PHP.
>
> Kelly

Community
> Process that lets scripting languages like PHP use Java classes when run
in
> a Servlet container. For example, here's a test script written in PHP
that
> uses IBM Toolbox for Java classes to authenticate a user on the iSeries:

> <head></head>
> <?php
>  try {
>    //Set the network name of the iSeries, the user name, and the user
> password.
>   $clsSystem = new Java("java.lang.String", "mysystem");
>   $clsUser = new Java("java.lang.String", "myname");
>   $clsPassword = new Java("java.lang.String", "mypassowrd");
>   //Create a connection to the iSeries.
>   $iSeries = new Java("com.ibm.as400.access.AS400", $clsSystem,
$clsUser,
> $clsPassword);
>   //Authenticate the user and respond to the outcome.
>   $uservalid = $iSeries->authenticate($clsUser, $clsPassword);
>   if ($uservalid==true) {
>    echo("valid user");
>   } else {
>    echo("invalid user");
>   }
>  } catch (Exception $e) {
>   echo("Error.");
>  }
> ?>
>
> The PHP script could also get the user information from a login form and
> start a session to remember the user name and password for subsequent
> interactions with the iSeries. No need to code Servlets or JSPs. Just
drop
> this script in a Java Web application like an HTML page and it works.
>
> Right now I'm using a basic text editor and the Tomcat Servlet container
> (since that was the reference implementation for JSR 223). However, I'd
like
> to be able to code my scripts in WebSphere Development Studio, test them
in
> the WebSphere Application Server bundled with the studio, and install
them
> in WebSphere Application Server Express for production.
>
> Anyone know IBM's plans for JSR 223 and WebSphere?
>
> Thanks,
> Kelly

> at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
>
> This e-mail has been sent by a company of Bertram Group Ltd, whose
> registered office is 1 Broadland Business Park, Norwich, NR7 0WF.
> This message, and any attachments, are intended solely for the addressee
and
> may contain privileged or confidential information.  If you are not the
> intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action
> taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be
> unlawful.  If you believe that you have received this email in error,
please
> contact the sender immediately. Opinions, conclusions and statements of
> intent in this e-mail are those of the sender and will not bind a
Bertram

_

_