Kelly

I'm with you here. There are at least 2 contributing factors, I think.

1. Java - performance with Java is almost always abysmal, IMO. iSeries Navigator has the same problems. And the more IBM uses Java for InfoiCenter, the slower it gets. Have you worked with the V5R3 InfoCenter yet? Oy! A recommendation from IBM on this is, the longer iSeries Navigator or WDSC s running the better it performs. So the SOP for your office is going to be, start WDSC, then take a coffee break, then never turn it off. Oh, but it blows up, doesn't it? (end of minor rant)

2. Getting object information from the iSeries - resolving your filters. iSeries is not a very fast file server. I'm not sure why, but running ACT!, e.g., against a file in the IFS is much slower than running it against a file on a not very big Win 2K machine. It also seems as if the entire contents of a filter get resolved at the start, rather than as needed, which could be a programming design issue or a matter of how the iSeries APIs return this information. To get a sorted list necessitates looking at everything, of course, or having an index of the contents of some sort. I do not know the iSeries internal for this, but it does not seem to support well the kind of access we need.

It'd be interesting to see a comparison between a Wintel box and an AS/400 with the same number of objects and directories. Of course, QSYS.LIB and QDLS have no equivalents, but I think the iSeries will be much slower.

Later
Vern