From: Joe Pluta [mailto:joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 11:01 AM
To: 'Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries'
Subject: RE: [WDSCI-L] WDSc workstation requirements

> From: CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> It seems that the consensus is 512 or RAM minimum and 1024 if you can
get
> it.

You'll need 512MB if you're just using WDSc as an RPG source editor.  If
you plan on using the WebSphere Test Environment or just about any of
the other features of WDSc, 1GB is the realistic minimum.

> What about CPU?  Is a 750Mhz Pentium III notebook going to be useable
for
> RPGLE?

Interesting thing about laptops - you'll find that the processor won't
make all that much of a difference because except on higher end units
they usually have incredibly slow (5400RPM) disk drives.  So, since I
suspect you have slow drives, 750MHz won't add that much more suffering.
But suffer you will; disk intensive procedures like switching
perspectives will be agonizingly slow at times.

Were you to have a decent disk drive (7200RPM or better) and enough RAM,
then your next bottleneck would be CPU and at that point I'd recommend
at least 2GHz, since they're pretty standard these days.

Thus, my recommendations:

512MB, 5400RPM, 500MHz will WORK for basic editing.  But that's all it
will do, and it won't be particularly fast, and it will die once you try
anything else.

For everything else, or for a relatively snappy interface during
editing: 1GB, 7200RPM, 2GHz.

Joe