Duie,

>>EVFC9143Q      The server is not responding, or the current
communications
>>request is taking a long time. Do you wish to cancel this request?

We added code in WDSc v5.1 that times communication requests and displays
this message if the request takes longer than a predefined timeout.  There
must have been a background request running as the result of a compile or
something that was taking a long time.  When we display this message we
also write out a bunch of information to the .log file so if you send me
this file next time the message appears I should be able to tell what comm
call it occurred on.  Just because you see this message does not mean the
comm call was stopped.  Basically it gives you the choice to continue
(because you know the comm call will take a long time or your system is
just slow at the moment) or you can cancel the request and continue.  The
2nd level text for the message suggests that you disconnect and reconnect
but if you find things are working find after cancelling then there is no
harm in just continuing.

The timeout value in 5.1 is a hidden preference (i.e. there is no user
interface for changing it.)  You can however change it by editing the file:

C:\Documents and Settings\%windowsID%\My
Documents\IBM\wdsc\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\com.ibm.etools.iseries.core
\pref_store.ini

Change the line (60 is 60 seconds):
com.ibm.etools.iseries.core.preferences.waitTimeoutWarning=60

As for the QZRCSRVS jobs I am not sure where they are all coming from.  For
each RSE connection you should have one of these jobs that we use for
communications.  We did quite a bit of testing to make sure no other jobs
get created but obviously there seems to be something that is creating
them.  If you happen to notice which specific action in the RSE creates the
jobs (or have a suspicion) please let me know.  I will work with Mark to
see if we can narrow this down and to solve the library list problems you
mentioned.

As a general rule, any tools that additional QZRCSRVS jobs based on the RSE
comm server one should get the library list configured in the Initial
library list property page for the connection (you get this by right
clicking on any of the subsystems under the RSE connection and selecting
properties.)  If you make any manual changes by running addlible or using
the library list actions these will not be copied over.

Don Yantzi
WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone: (905) 413-4476
IBM internal:  IBMCA(yantzi)  -  Internet: yantzi@xxxxxxxxxx

             duie.olson@regisc
             orp.com
             wdsci-l-bounces@m         wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             idrange.com                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             01/15/2004 10:37          [WDSCI-L] RSE Connections Continue
             AM                        To Get Lost or Confused?

             Please respond to
                 Websphere
                Development
             Studio Client for
                  iSeries

Hi all,
I am on 5.1.0.1 will all fixes applied including the LPEX editor patch for
scrolling issues. We connect to the iSeries V5R2 machine, current on PTF's
per the verify connections option.  We get the connection established, open
the filters to view source, compile, etc.  Then, out of nowhere,  a message
pops up stating:

EVFC9143Q      The server is not responding, or the current communications
request is taking a long time. Do you wish to cancel this request?

Good grief, I am confused.  I connected and am looking at the code, spool
files, iSeries message,(Thanks Mark and Softlanding since IBM can't provide
the obvious need).  What is this coming from?  Whether or not I say Yes or
No to cancel the request, I continue to review source, compile etc.

One thing I did notice.  Perhaps Softlanding and IBM need to hook up on
this one. I don't know.
When I do a WRKOBJLCK <userid> *USRPRF, I see a dozen of the QZRCSRVS jobs
out there.  I blew them all away, end *immediate style.  It told me that my
connection was lost in WDSC.  Makes sense.   So I reconnect to view My
Active Jobs.  It then would show 1 job.  Makes sense to me, since i just
created it from the active jobs requests previously.  Now, to view
Softlanding Spool files and messages and refresh My Active Jobs:  Spool
files creates yet another connection under job QNPSRVS.  iSeries messages
did not create any new connection at all.
Getting to what I noticed....

The iSeries Spool files job QNPSRVS does NOT connect with the connection
set library list and all additional libraries I add during the creation of
my connection in RSE.  It should!!!

After a couple hours of work, off to a meeting, come back and work off and
on, etc.  I look at the WRKOBJLCK <userid> *USRPRF  again and now there are
6 to 8 other jobs in there that NEVER go away.  Who knows which one is
current.   Thus my problem I think with the message popping up.

I use a plugin for Implementer to WDSC that ties into the connection to the
iSeries to check out, promote, etc.   It seems to use the iSeries Spool
Files connection(which does not have my added libraries for Implementer in
them) therefore failing on the commands to checkout, promote etc.

Sounds to me like RSE is loosing it's mind.  And so am I to be spending
such an ungodly amount of time on this whole thing.   I am not selling this
to my developers to well when my pilot staff members are going at a slower
pace that the green screeners are due to problems incountered.

Sorry for the mini novel, but I don't have a phone number to call anyone to
start getting this all figured out.  This seems to be the best place to get
response to issues the quickest.  I am not calling our BP, it took 3 months
to get the 5.1 cd's... It'll be next Christmas before the help me get
support.

Regards,

Duie