From:   wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]  On
Behalf Of Vern Hamberg
Sent:   Friday, December 26, 2003 4:19 PM
To:     Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject:        Re: [WDSCI-L] SI08018  -  Wat is it?

Dennis

The cover letter is viewable online at
<http://www-912.ibm.com/a_dir/as4ptf.nsf/99208da8b86e3afa86256c23005c6db3/3be8e3618298ce2586256d5f00529b1d?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,SI08018>.

You can get there from the iSeries Support page
<www.iseries.ibm.com/support> and going to the PTF cover letter page - go
either to the "Fixes" link or to the "Technical databases" link in the menu
on the left, then look for the "PTF cover letters" link and search from there.

The website for Agent Controller, referenced in the cover letter, is
<http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=715&context=SSZND2&q=&uid=swg27003850>

Here is an excerpt from that page:

>The IBM Agent Controller (formerly called the Remote Agent Controller, or
>RAC) is used by the WebSphere Studio tools to interact with (supported)
>remote servers for such purposes as application publishing and testing,
>and debugging and profiling Java/WAS applications on remote servers.
>
>Caveat: Please note, it is currently not intended for remote deployment
>use on production systems, since republishing applications involves
>shutting down WAS servers, and it doesn't have bulletproof security on
>some systems. This is intended for development systems only.

This suggests to me that, if you are not using WAS or Java, you do not need
it. Another list member recently said there's some stuff in the cover
letter about changing debug settings. I see that but still think it only
applies to WAS/J2EE/maybe JSP stuff and is not needed for legacy stuff. I'm
not even sure it matters much with WebFacing. But a clear statement from
IBM would be nice.

HTH
Vern